Each month we’ll be taking the time to get under the skin of the Maitland Selwyn team members, to find out what makes them tick…and what ticks them off! This month, Claire Cross, Area Manager for the South West Region, will be answering the questions ……..
1. How and why did you join Maitland Selwyn?
I had taken time away from my career in estate agency and new homes to raise my children and complete the renovation on our home, but felt that the time was right to return to work. I considered setting up a recruitment agency focused on New Homes and Estate Agency staff and through a mutual acquaintance was put back in touch with Chris Haley, who I had worked with 28 years ago. Once I had chatted things through with Chris he suggested I join the team at Maitland Selwyn instead – that was 18 months ago and I absolutely love it.
2. Why have you stayed with the company so long?
I have only been with the Company 18 months so don’t think this is a great length of time…however knowing Chris and what he and his Company stands for – I don’t see myself leaving in a hurry.
3. What’s your favourite thing about working for Maitland Selwyn?
The best thing about working for Maitland Selwyn is the satisfaction of finding the right job for someone and knowing that it will make a difference to their life.
4. What has been your best investment?
My best investment has been a picture that I bought at a garage sale for £1.50 that was subsequently valued for £1000.
5. What has been your favourite role, before joining Maitland Selwyn/entering property recruitment?
My favourite role before joining Maitland Selwyn was running Connells Estate Agents in Yeovil with a great team of people.
6. What is your favourite room in your house and why?
The kitchen is my favourite room. It’s the room we tend to live in – it’s always warm and overlooks the garden.
7. What’s your signature dish in the kitchen?
Green Thai Monkfish Curry.
8. If you could add one dream feature to your homes, what would it be?
The dream feature I would add to my home would be a fresh water swimming pond
9. Have you any pets?
Yes one husband and 2 dogs – Pickle and Lily who are 6 year old mongrels. They are sisters out of the same litter and the husband is definitely a mongrel!!
10. What’s the first thing you would do if you won the lottery?
If I won the lottery I would buy a big house in Cornwall overlooking the sea for all the family to use.
11. What is your favourite book and favourite song?
My favourite book is Shantaram by Gregory David Roberts and favourite song…too many to pick from but possibly Always a Woman to me – Billy Joel.
12. Finally, what 3 things would you take with you to a desert island?
Three things to a desert island – my dogs, and a snorkel and mask (assuming it’s a tropical island)!